We made tremendous progress on the construction of our first greenhouse on Tuesday. BIG THANKS go out to our friends Austin and Ariana from Moon Rabbit Urban Farm and Aaron (one of our CSA pick up site hosts and urban farmer extraordinaire) for helping us out. We’re a couple of days away from pulling the plastic and completing the project. Then we get to do it all over again!
Here is a little photo essay of our progress. It was a typical grey spring day in the Pacific NW. But at least we stayed dry. I can almost taste those tomatoes and eggplants…mmm…
First, we set all the posts in concrete and attached boards to create a foundation
Then, all of the pipes were assembled to create the skeleton of the greenhouse.
Whew, that’s a lot of pipes.
I like to be helpful so here is my foot stabilizing the pipe as Aaron attaches the channel for the wiggle wire.
Time to hoist the first frame into place. It took a few tries with the tractor to lift it up.
First one up!
After that the guys figured out that it would be a lot faster to carry the pieces by hand and manually lift each piece. It’s amazing how quickly we got the other 19 into place.
I was surprised at how quickly it came together.
Then we attached the side boards.
A gratuitous photo of me using the drill. Power tools…whee!
And then…the (almost) finished product. Our greenhouse will be finished in no time. Yay!