Love them or hate them, we find that most people are fairly opinionated about beets. We’re in the beet-loving group and love the vibrant hues and sweet earthiness. Don’t throw away the greens! Beet greens taste a lot like chard and are an excellent source of potassium, folic acid, and magnesium.
Scroll down for the following recipes:
- Beet Chips
- Beet Quesadillas
- Roasted Beets with Wilted Beet Greens
1 bunch beets, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mandolin or knife, thinly slice beets to a thickness of 1/16″. In a large bowl, toss beet slices with oil to coat evenly.
- On prepared baking sheets, in a single layer, arrange as many slices as will fit without crowding. Bake until crisp, 25-30 minutes, rotating pans once halfway through baking. Cool chips and blot with paper towels to remove any excess oil. Repeat, using a cool prepared baking sheet for each batch, until all beet slices are baked.
- Toss chips with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
2 beets, thinly sliced
1 med onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch beet greens of chard, chopped finely
2 tbsp veg oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp water
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in skillet. Sauté onion and beets (6 min), add greens and spices, water, and stir.
- Cover and cook 2-3 min until veggies are soft. Transfer to bowl. Wipe out skillet.
- Layer tortilla, filling, cheese, and top with tortilla.
- Cook 1-2 minutes each side.
Roasted Beets with Wilted Beet Greens
3 medium beets with beet greens attached
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim greens from beets. Cut off and discard stems. Coarsely chop leaves and reserve.
- Wrap each beet in foil. Place beets in a baking dish and roast until tender when pierced with fork, about 1 hour. Cool. Peel beets, then cut each into 8 wedges. Place beets in medium bowl.
- Heat a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add some olive oil and then the beet greens and garlic. Drizzle vinegar over greens. Stir until the greens are wilted, just a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Serve beet greens with slices of roasted beet on top.
Try any of these additions:
- Orange segments, goat cheese or feta, pistachios
- Cook the beet greens with some bacon or pancetta
- Saute an onion along with the beet greens
- Top off the dish with a chopped up boiled egg