Scroll down for these recipes
- Broccoli Parmesan Fritters
- Broccoli Potato Curry
- Broccoli and Feta Pasta
Broccoli Parmesan Fritters
3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
1 large egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 small clove garlic, minced
Salt & pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Olive or vegetable oil for frying
- Prepare your broccoli: Separate the florets from the biggest stem(s). Cut into 1-inch chunks. Optional: peel the stems and then slice into 1/2-inch lengths.
- Steam broccoli until tender but not mushy, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the broccoli, then set it aside to cool slightly.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the flour, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Then, add the somewhat cooled broccoli and, using a potato masher, mash the broccoli just a bit. The bits should be recognizable, but small enough (1/4- to 1/2-inch chunks) to press a mound of the batter into a fritter in the pan. Once mashed a bit, stir or fold the ingredients together the rest of the way with a spoon. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat. Once hot, add about 2 to 3 tbsp oil. Scoop a two tablespoon-size mound of the batter and drop it into the pan, then flatten it slightly. Repeat with additional batter, leaving a couple inches between each. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until brown then flip each fritter and cook on the other side until equally golden, another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer briefly to paper towels to drain, then eat immediately. Or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200F degree oven.
Broccoli and Potato Curry
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1 -2 tsp curry powder
2 lbs potatoes, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup broccoli or cauliflower (florets)
1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 lemon (juice)
- Heat oil on medium. Sauté the onions, fresh ginger and curry powder for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes, until potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Add the broccoli (or cauliflower) and green beans, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and continue cooking until most of the stock has evaporated.
Broccoli and Feta Pasta
1 pound broccoli
1/2 cup onion or two shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped flat parsley
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup feta cheese, divided
1/4 cup water
Salt & pepper
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and steam on the stove or in the microwave (with 2 tbsp of water in a covered dish for 3-4 minutes on high). Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Cook the onion and garlic until it just begins to soften then add the broccoli. Cook for several minutes or until the onion turns translucent. Add the parsley and cook until it’s well wilted. Pour in the lemon juice and simmer for about two minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and add 1/4 cup of feta cheese and 1/4 cup water. Puree until smooth, adding a drizzle of olive oil and a little more water to achieve your preferred consistency.
- Serve over a ridged pasta, like rotini, and finish with a sprinkle of feta.