Ideas for Using Fennel
- Slice it thinly and add it to a salad or coleslaw
- Halve it, cut it into quarters and roast it with chicken or fish
- Add it as a topping for pizza
- Braise it
- Coat it with seasoned flour and then pan fry
- Make pickles
- Make “pesto” with the fronds and freeze it in ice cube trays for later use to flavor soups, stews, sauces, and other dishes
- It pairs well with tomato, mint, avocado, or oranges
Fennel, Orange and Shallot Salad
1 fennel bulb
1 large seedless orange
2 large shallots
Fresh cracked black pepper
- Wash all sand and dirt off the fennel and trim the top. Set the tops aside – cutting a few sprigs for garnish. Shave the bulb as thinly as possible. Cut the orange into wedges, then carefully cut away the skin and pith, then slice the orange flesh away from the membranes. Slice the shallots very thin.
- Toss the fennel, orange bites, and shallots with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and (lots of) pepper.